[lbo-talk] Obama Speaks Out on Trayvon Martin Killing

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:45:19 PDT 2012

In fairness, Florida has both more prisoners and less crime, making it parallel to neither example.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-03-17/live/fl-state-prison-population-20100317_1_prison-population-prison-count-additional-inmates http://www.theledger.com/article/20111222/EDIT01/111229822

You can see a quick breakdown of the state inmate population by "Top 10 Offenses" here:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/Quickfacts.html

It's a mix of violence, drugs, burglary, weapons, and "Lewd and Lascivious Behavior." (By the standards of my current environment, I think three-quarters of Miami's population could be convicted of that one!)