[lbo-talk] Obama Speaks Out on Trayvon Martin Killing

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Mar 26 19:41:38 PDT 2012

JC, I'm still kinda baffled: What's your point? Not trying to be snide, but I truly don't see what you're driving at.

The stats you cite below seem to add up to a noncorrelation between incarceration and crime, which certainly doesn't surprise me. What am I missing?

It's gratifying to see that NY State has reduced its prison 'population'. Some of that reduction is certainly due to a growth in 'work release' programs and other forms of virtual incarceration, which set severe limits on the liberty of the felon but don't cost the state nearly as much. (They can't have cell phones, I recently discovered. That will probably change as soon as Verizon finds out about it.)