[lbo-talk] A Draft: "Individualism" vs "The Individual"

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Mon Mar 26 20:10:10 PDT 2012

On 3/26/2012 5:35 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> It is alos possible to deny the existence of "the individual" but approve of
> individualism in behavior.
>
> Carrol

Not a lot of time to "dig deeper" but it would seem that it is the production and distribution of the capacity to approve that would be at issue regarding the notion of selfhood and the compositionality of individuals a la Thatcher versus Marx or whoever.

A few months ago I mentioned Richard Moran's "Authority and Estrangement"; it is rather germane to the thread and one of the other threads regarding the interminable dispute of the prioritization of self/society and the attending issues of *obligations* we've sort of discussed in the past few days.

Gotta go,

Ian