[lbo-talk] Question re: the "Stand Your Ground" defense that wasn't

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 05:05:32 PDT 2012

Florida State Rep. Dennis Baxley, "Stand Your Ground" sponsor: "[I]f you carefully read the statute, which most of the critics have not, and read the legislative analysis, there's nothing in this statute that authorizes you to pursue or confront other people. If anything, this law would have protected the victim in this case; it could have." http://www.npr.org/2012/03/26/149404276/op-ed-why-i-wrote-stand-your-ground-law

Craig Sonner, George Zimmerman's attorney: "In my legal opinion, that's not really applicable to this case. The statute on 'stand your ground' is primarily when you're in your house." http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/24/justice/florida-teen-shooting

Here's my question for other news-watchers: Has Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law ever been cited by anyone of consequence - Sanford police, Zimmerman himself, etc. - in his defense? Or is this a case of some lazy journalist pulling a story from the air, and other lazy journalists finding it less demanding to run with it than to do any actual reporting?