[lbo-talk] A Draft: "Individualism" vs "The Individual"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:37:14 PDT 2012

Shane: "condemning victimless crimes (crimes incapable of giving rise to a tort action in civil law) such as incest, pornography, drug use, prostitution, blasphemy, and so on as "crimes against society."

[WS:] I agree with your general point, but I'd take exception to characterizing prostitution as a victimless crime. More often than not, some form of coercion of sex workers occurs, and this creates vicitmization, just as child labor or sweatshops do. I think conservative attitude toward prostitution is rather ambiguous - on the one hand it is a business contract between private parties, which they support, but on the other it is "promiscuity" or sex outside a family structure, which many of their constituents oppose.

More generally, conservatives and libertarians are not against society, they are against a certain type of society, one that can be characterized as "nurturing" (i.e. providing protections and means of subsistence.) The society type they support is a "bipolar" one - in which the upper classes have almost unlimited freedom and protections and the lower classes are subjected to stern discipline and social control. Corey Robin made that point quite nicely is his book "The Reactionary Mind."

>From that pov, the proper meaning of Thatcher's quip is "There is no
such thing as a nurturing society (aka welfare state,) only the market that allow freedom of action to those with the means to pursue it, and the patriarchal family that disciplines and takes care of everyone else." This is the essence of the "subsidiarity doctrine" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiarity.

Wojtek