[lbo-talk] Germany's new breed of neo-Nazis

Joel Schalit jschalit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 08:52:31 PDT 2012

Wealthy Berliners would love it if the city was just like other big international cities: Expensive, exclusive and glamorous. It hasn't been, as most know, since before WW2. Berlon lacks the kind of internal economy to support that kind of situation, so the version of gentrification that's taking place is much different than, say what NYC and London went through over the last four decades.

Berlin is still, to paraphrase the mayor, "Sexy and poor." Europe's biggest market for urban vacation and investment properties, for wealthy Germans and foreigners, and artists with resources who thrive off the museum/creative scene. It's dependency on tourists for income reminds me a lot of Israel, in terms of how significant it is to the local economy. To wit, there are loads of Israelis in town.

One of the most interest economic models proposed for Berlin, at least in the press, is that it's a successful new 'startup center' a la Austin, or Portland. There are a few such firms (Soundcloud, Ableton) but more failures, than not. Spiegel would love it - I think they have a columnprofiling local tech startups, called "Startup City" or something like that. Pass.

Joel