[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland reports and pics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 2 07:38:22 PDT 2012

Who is your implied reader? What change in that reader's behavior do you expect your argument to make? Will it in fact change the number of prisoners? Will it increase the number of people demanding that the number of prisoner's be reduced? Or will it merely make you feel more comfortable in your smugness?

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 8:30 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland reports and pics

On May 2, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> I only want to point out how easily the reaction to it can resonate with
law and order tropes about dangerous folk.

The other day I read a quote from Richard Pryor who said something like "I'm glad we have penitentiaries" after doing a prison performance.

But, really, how many truly dangerous folk do we have? Certainly nothing remotely like 2 million.

Oh, damn, I'm talking policy. Bless me Father, for I have sinned.