[lbo-talk] Debt

Adam Proctor proctorvt at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:18:52 PDT 2012

"I take it that is part of the reason David Graeber's book is gaining an audience; there is now a massive obligation to pay money, by the sweat of one's brow, to people who've done nothing more than to write fancy contracts and make entries on spreadsheets that reside in server farms distributed across the planet. Such obligation inflation, compounded daily, monthly and yearly, leads to a hyperinflation of unfreedoms. How can such duty inflation not lead to an authoritarian nightmare of monetary surveillance? We see it already in the demands for all kinds of means testing for those who receive minimal government assistance and millions toiling for pittances while working 12-14 hours a day or more just to pay their bills, with no escape from the monetary treadmill in sight. This so-called wage enslavement is not a moral problem, it is, along with how to adapt to weird weather on a warming planet, the deepest political problem of this century. In that sense Carrol, via Rosa Luxemburg, is completely correct."

You're really into something here. Your timing here in impeccable, as I am currently working on a review of Graeber's Debt. The failure here is seeing debt as a transhistorical, moral phenomenon rather than viewing it -- along with money supply, etc -- as distinctly *political* decisions rendered by a given society (or ruling minority) about how to create and allocate a social surplus through production of credit money supply and physical production. Viewed in this way -- credit money as a social and political existence -- we see how little control the average person has in rendering these decisions. This should be the operative conclusion coming from analysis surrounding issues of debt under capitalism.

There is so much more to say here. I'm interested in other's thoughts on this.

-Adam

Sent from my iPhone