[lbo-talk] Spanish promiscuity or German erectile dysfunction?

Alan P. Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu May 3 11:42:09 PDT 2012

On Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM, // ravi wrote: Ravi: Unless I missed an earlier post on this thread (which is possible), this is the only one I can find, and I would like you to help me identify the substance in the below, which is the entirety of Marv Gandall’s post (minus quoted bits):
> > Marv: Like others with similar pretensions, but with very little practical political experience outside of small circle organizing in university towns and among the better-educated, he'd be quickly chewed up and spit out in a working class political party, union, or social movement of any consequence, where mastering the "art of defensive formulations" is essential to political survival.

Alan It was this claim that Marv's extensive experience in working across a wide range of communities - an experience I think we can agree is wider than Carrol's long history of local organizing - indicates that the kind of political (or at least ideological) purity Carrol frequently advances is incommensurable with the work of organizing outside of small circles of people. Furthermore, while I took this to be implied in the "art of defensive formulations" passage, Marv is also saying that a certain amount of pragmatic politics is necessary in order to defend existing terrain, much less construct the terrain for the next struggle, much less have the next struggle… and that this doesn't mean that those working locally with the DP don't have a clear sense of the contradictions of doing so nor that they fail to have a vision of where they're headed not unlike that embedded in Carrol's perspective (even though we're not allowed to have such visions according to Carrol).
> > Marv: I mostly restrain myself from commenting on his frequent outrageously iconoclastic observations, but his light-hearted "enjoyment, win or lose" from afar of the desperate struggles of European and American workers was particularly offensive - even if it was, as I am sure, calculated to display to himself and others his unsentimental and unflinching "revolutionary" steadfastness.

Alan Additionally, it was Marv's claim that the "enjoyment, win or lose" position was insensitive at best, irresponsible at worst, but most importantly never something someone hurting as a result of austerity/restructuring and involved with those struggles on the ground (see the point above) could ever make.
> —ravi

Alan

> P.S: Sparrow Mail? That’s pretty chic! :-)

Yeah, kinda think I like it… still working out the fit between Sparrow and gmail's colored stars among other things… saves browser stress as much as anything else.