[lbo-talk] Spanish promiscuity or German erectile dysfunction?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 05:04:58 PDT 2012

Michael S: "Which is worse: an open enemy or a false friend?"

[WS:] I think it is a false dichotomy, one that leads people off their course. I heard you own a boat, so let me offer a sailing analogy that someone else who owns a sail boat once told me. When you are sailing, you set the point where you want to go, but you never go there in a straight line. Instead, you change the course with the wind - to the left or to the right sometimes even away from your chosen destination. The wind is both your ally and your enemy - it moves your boat forward but it can also destroy it. But whatever happens, you do not lose your sight from your destination, even when you seem to be moving away from it.

I think that the militaristic friend-or-foe metaphor adds more confusion than clarity to the art of sailing - both literally and figuratively.

-- Wojtek

"Modern conservatism is just a neoliberal gloss on medieval domination."