[lbo-talk] BTN on James Galbraith

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat May 5 13:30:32 PDT 2012

> But is it the "neoliberal" policies themselves or is it the inequality
> they produced?
> It seems to be the former because China, now on the verge of becoming the
> biggest part of the world economy, has experienced thirty years of
> grossly increasing inequality without ever approaching what in "Western"
> terms would be a "crisis."
>
> Shane Mage

Can't speak for the radio show. I'd say wait and see. India must be in something of a breakdown, since there are constant reports of terrible conditions in the countryside.

Also if you watch some of the Foxconn stories, younger members of extended families in the country go or are sent to work in the cities to send money back home. So the social structure is breaking down. And according to Harvey, while China has invested huge amounts in infrastructure, building whole new cities, that sector is slowing down. I watched another video about a vast mall city complex that was just finished and is completely empty. That's what happened in Emeryville with the DotCom bust. Meanwhile that small city school district was under receivership.

It's my view that crisis is a class of possible gross instabilities and they take different forms in different places.

So wait and see about China.

The last big consumer purchase I made was back in 2005 for a BIY computer---all Chinese, but good as I could afford in an Antec case.

Anyway, go listen to the show. It was one of the greats.

CG