[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for local economies?

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed May 9 07:45:26 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Alan P. Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> For a left list this kind of response - while accurately considering the real public expenditures associated with a multi-vehicle drunk driving accident - serves simply to bracket any and all social, political, economic and cultural  issues associated with the production of the rate of drunk driving, the politics and unevenness of enforcement, and the economics, politics and culture of alcohol and drug policy in the US.  It, additionally, brackets the politics of the changing "scientific" definition of "drunk."
>

> This kind of response encourages a reactive politics: "This thing exists, what are we going to do about it?!" rather than a critical or radical politics: "Why does this thing exist, how did it come to exist and how do we attack its social roots?"

Uh, I'm perfectly capable of performing a PhD. level analysis of the sociology and jurisprudence of public drunkenness since the development of the automobile. If you've got a grant.....

It's not what Michael asked for.

At some point, when I have more time I will round up where Michael can find the info he seeks as I know where the substantive clues he needs for research but I'm kinda buried in admin. work directly related to this:

http://www.bothell-reporter.com/news/150487045.html

A few years ago I had to help clean up this one too:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/8079487.html