[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for local economies?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:22:16 PDT 2012

michael yates

In many towns these days, large numbers of people are arrested for drunk driving, drug possession, public drunkenness, disturbing the peace, and a host of other offenses. They must appear before magistrates, and more often than not, are assessed fines, which can be significant. Public drunkenness will cost you about $500 in my hometown. If you hire a lawyer, count on spending a lot of money. In the end, the police, the magistrates, the lawyers, the courts, many people get money. A DUI will enrich a host of others as well: the counselors, the probation officer, those who administer breathalyzer tests, and others I can't think of just now. Money, money, money. Justice never seems to have anything to do with it. Are there any studies about all of this?

^^^^^

CB: Yes it is. Meter maids and knaves , too. It's also a way to raise money for the courts. I just looked at the budget for 36th District Court in Detroit . The Revenue item from "Fines/Forfeits/Penalties" is estimated at $7, 336,000.00.