[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed May 9 18:08:02 PDT 2012

On Wed, 09 May 2012 18:38:14 -0400 shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about NYC, but when I took the League of American Bicyclist
> training which is based on the Uniform Vehicle Code for the nation, the UVC
> is built on the assumption that no road user is privileged due to the kind
> of vehicle they use - whether motorized or not.

Yes, that's the theory -- even-handedness. The practice is another matter of course. But at this point even the theory is bad.

(This is a question of policy rather than politics, which I usually shy away from, but thought experiments have their uses.)

So if I were making policy I would definitely privilege non-motorized peds users dramatically over motorized ones; and people without wheels dramatically over people with wheels. On the principle that he who creates the risk bears the burden of responsibility.

There are a million other reasons to penalize driving, of course -- not least among them the fact that it's a deeply antisocial and infantilizing activity. I'm convinced that spending so many of our waking hours in a car is one of the things that makes Americans so crazy.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

When one does a foolish thing, it is right to do it handsomely.