[lbo-talk] Orson Welles On Cars

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Wed May 9 20:20:19 PDT 2012

This link actually lead to a great and long interview with Orson Wells that starts here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnZXmZARySc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

You have to search around using Orson Wells N.flv, where N is the next segment (1,2,.....). After the first few segments, the rest are usually clickable.

Wells portrays himself in a war with the Hollywood studios, but isn't particularly clear about what was at the root of that war. He was in favor while when there was a certain tolerance for the dark and strange, which really wasn't the ordinary taste My parent's generation really didn't like that kind of thing--except the art side of the parents.

Later in the interview Wells talks about the letterhead at RKO, which read Showmanship not Genius. The letterhead motto was changed to this phrase the year Wells was kicked out of RKO. He laught at the word genius since he was a well known the posterboy for the word.

But I take the more general meaning to encapuslate Hollywood and the United States as an artless secular culture of business before all else, pretty much in the dead lock we are in right now. It's very clear that the entire machinery of US culture is anti-human.

Anyway, I never enjoyed Orson Wells more than in this interview. I have to wonder if the clear liquid in what looks like a glass of water was gin instead water...

CG