[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Alan P. Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed May 9 21:13:38 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> I'm delighted to see that cars are as much a sacred cow
> on lbo-talk as in the rest of Amurrica.

Well, I, for one, am delighted that you're still incapable of taking in a whole post in its complexity… yet doing so would necessitate that you become as good a reader as Ravi.

You see, there was this guy, Doug Henwood, who started off his engagement here criticizing drivers… but, again, you'd have to make the effort to engage someone as a whole person rather than as selected lines in a short contribution to an ongoing discussion… and, hey, didn't you note that you only/first met Doug at an anti-car rally? Surely, if you selectively reify parts of what he's subsequently/recently said, it simply must be the case that he's given up all capacity to criticize automobility and drivers, no?

There's this other guy on the list, I know him well, who recounted stories of quite responsible driving in two west coast cities - in the past (btw, it also happens in a number of places - this day - in NH) as a comparison to the lousy driving habits of many of today's drivers but, heck, he too simply must treat cars as a sacred cow… he's on lob-talk, isn't he?

The way you've written, someone unkind might assume that you'd be one of those mountain bikers - you know the ones that I criticized - that the other mountain bikers have been known to stick their pumps in the spokes of because of their irresponsible mountain riding. You align yourself with Shag and yet I'd imagine she's got a number of stories of "bad" cyclists poisoning the riding well for "good" ones… it must be nice to treat cyclists and pedestrians as sacred cows (now, is that fair of me, I wonder?) because - given their vulnerability - they've basically more innocent than those universally bad drivers. _Surely,_ no other cyclist has ever paid the price of your intentionally pissing off an already evil driver… to imagine that such a thing were possible you'd have to imagine that this whole discussion was being engaged by people with a modicum of complexity to their thoughts.