[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu May 10 01:10:55 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

I and
> others have argued that moral judgments cannot be used as arguments, since
> there is no way to ground ethical propositions.

There's no way to ground your language, either. And conflicting uses of a language often produce endless confusion. But that hasn't stopped either of us from using it, both to analyze and express political concepts. Nor are either of our politics divorced from personal moralities.

Now where we often agree - assuming our language is identical - is on the use of moralities as arguments. I, too, have little patience for those who peddle their causes on the basis of moral intuition alone.

But when you posit, as you sometimes seem to, that an individual politics can exist apart from an individual morality - or, indeed, that an individual can exist apart from an individual morality - you veer off into Crazy Man Land.