[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu May 10 04:16:05 PDT 2012

At 12:13 AM 5/10/2012, Alan P. Rudy wrote:
>Shag and yet I'd imagine she's got a number of stories of "bad" cyclists
>poisoning the riding well for "good" ones

I gave that up. I read an article in which the author compared such complaining to battered spouse syndrome. And then I read Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt. And then I read Direct Action by David Graeber.

Upshot: running around cycling perfectly - which I tend to do at all times b/c if *I* get caught blowing a red light... - will not and can not fix the problem. The problem isn't my behavior; the problem is the systemic issues behind the abuse. In fact, NOW whenever someone bitches at other people for causing problems for cyclists because they don't follow the law, I tend to bitch at the person promoting battered spouse - i.e., battered cyclist -- syndrome among cyclists.

That is, they promote the idea that you can just make your abuser stop abusing you if you act perfectly. The same way lefties believe you can make the cops stop beating protesters or you can make the general public support our politics if you just act perfectly. Cyclist believe that, somehow, if we all ride perfectly we will be given the special gift of the right to use the road unharmed and unharassed. That somehow, if we ride perfectly, no one can complain about us anymore and that our actions, which apparently cause people to run us off the road, kill us, tack our paths so our tires blow out, will magically cause people to treat as road users with equal rights to the road.

Now it's a lot of horse shit for abused spouses to do that and it's a lot of bullshit for bicyclists and activists to do it.