[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu May 10 11:51:15 PDT 2012

> shag: "Which is to say, I don't need special protections as a wheel chair
> driver, cyclist, pedestrian. What I need, instead, is a public and a
> law that refuses to privilege any vehicle, ever."

This is my attitude as well. I hate nearly all bike lanes; they're almost always poorly thought-out and badly engineered, and make the street less safe rather than more. There are exceptions, but they are few.

What people miss about all these regimentation strategies (traffic signals, lane markers, one-way streets, separate bike and ped facilities) is that they do not exist for the sake of *safety*; they exist so drivers can go faster. In the unregimented 'chaotic' street, with lots of non-motorized users all over the place -- so nicely represented by the video clip ravi sent -- drivers simply have to slow down and negotiate their interactions with other road users, instead of acting like robots programmed by the Vehicle Code.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

When one does a foolish thing, it is right to do it handsomely.