[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:16:05 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> Michael Smith writes:
>
>> I noticed, when I stopped wearing a helmet, that drivers
>> treated me less aggressively. Panniers also help, for some
>> reason.
>

> I notice that people who don't wear helmets tend to treat cycling less
> seriously -- they are the first to blow stop signs and weave through slow
> traffic; maybe what you're seeing isn't that people are being less
> aggressive, but that they have become afraid of you and what you might do.
>
> You don't wear a helment; what other dumb, unsafe things are you up to?

Ah, helmets. The subject banned from many a bicycle listserv. Jordan's reaction demonstrates why.

My understanding is that there is some research (I'll dig it up if you're interested) that backs up Michael's point: it found that helmetless cyclists were given more berth that those with. I'm unaware of any systematic study of the effect of panniers, but that might have something to do with visual presence, that the bigger you look, the more room you're given.

-- Andy