[lbo-talk] Freezing liquids and primes

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Thu May 10 20:28:13 PDT 2012

And for all Materialists: explain, please, how comes it that the abstract world of *pure* mathematics would correspond with the structure of physical reality? Shane Mage

Well one answer is that mathematics is not pure, and it is informed by the physical world. Consider that Euclidean Geometry is not ideal, but informed by the presence of gravitational force pointing down. The gravity vector is the plumb bob, which in turn is a 90 degree vertical in construction. Other tools like the carpenter's square, a chalk line between two points, a circle constructed with twine and chalk (or a compass) are the material equivalent to Euclid's Postulates.

The trouble I have with the article Joanna posted is that I don't know enough chemistry or number theory to say or even guess much that is useful. I never got very far with Riemann's zeta function, except to see it had the general architecture of the harmonic series and it's adapted from Euler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RiemannCriticalLine.svg

What it means and how that can be related to the vitrification of water into glass ice, (with no crystalization), I have no idea. It's not that I am skeptical. It's that I only have a vague idea of how the relation could exist, which would be some feature of probability theory and random order---which I also don't know much about.

CG