[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money forlocaleconomies?

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu May 10 21:03:11 PDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 10:29 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:
> On 5/10/2012 5:25 PM, // ravi wrote:
>
>> I don’t the point was about pedestrian or two-wheeler fatalities, it was about the perceived danger of driving [a car] (Carrol, IIRC, posted about how crazy some American dude found driving in France to be).
>
> That wasn't Michael's point. He seems to be clearly saying that chaotic is safer.

I don’t know about safer… perhaps the scale of injuries/fatality is not linear with population and usage. Also, it does not necessarily follow that the seemingly chaotic scene in the video I posted is the cause of the higher mortality rates. At any rate, I posted the video as a comment on Michael calling Carrol’s reference a myth (or some such word, I forget which). There is a particular logic and order to the way the traffic moves, which to an unfamiliar person might look scary, but how much generalisation that affords is questionable. The German right gets right of way rule (even against traffic proceeding straight) would make my hair stand on end if I ever had to drive there.

—ravi