[lbo-talk] cars

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 21:07:57 PDT 2012

  In the area where I live a car is necessary for most people. Bus service from our village was down to one a day just one way. It does not come back through the town. You can only go west. To go east you need to drive 14 kilometers south to catch a bus going east. Aside from that bus another goes through the town just once a day in each direction. If you need to travel to the next town or the nearest city about 120 kilometers you need a car. Farmers require at least one car and truck but usually have more.    The Greyhound bus service is owned by a Scotch company and has headquarters in Dallas  Texas. They are discontinuing any service through our village. We thus have to drive to the nearest town for once a day service! It is expensive too since there is no competition. The next province over has a provincial bus company that was set up ages ago under a left wing government. It services all the small towns.

CHeers, ken

  Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Cc: Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:00:36 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] cars

On Wed, 9 May 2012 20:43:11 -0700 michael yates <mikedjyates at msn.com> wrote:

> We live an itinerant life, and we would be hardpressed if we had no car.

Yeah. Most people have to have a car; there's really no choice. No freedom there.

But there are good things that can happen in cars -- conversations that couldn't occur anywhere else, for example. As you note.

Still: everybody who drives a car can choose how he drives it: fast or slow, deferential to peds and cyclists or insistent upon every right the Vehicle Code grants him or her.

To the extent that cars confer any 'freedom' at all, that's the extent of it. We're free to be heavily-armed assholes, with a considerable advantage over the non-motorized; and free to decline the opportunity.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

When one does a foolish thing, it is right to do it handsomely.