[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money forlocaleconomies?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri May 11 04:53:50 PDT 2012

of course, neither accident would have happened had:

1. they both been riding outside the door zone - 3-5 feet away from parked cars 2. they has felt comfortable in the middle of the street b/c no one would have expected them to ride in the door zone 3. the drivers learned to drive with the rule that you look behind you for cyclists. I forget with country, Netherlands?, where car drivers are taught to look for cyclists when getting out of parked cars. They are taught to always open their car door with their left hand. That way, they have too look behind them for cyclists.

There's the well known Australian study that found that helmet laws increased fatalities and injuries. Why? Fewer people rode bikes, cars drove more recklessly around helmeted riders believing they were "safe". With fewer cyclists on the roads and more things signaling "It's safe to drive faster or more recklessly!" (i.e., helmeted riders won't get hurt as badly so take that risk, driver! Take that risk, cyclist!) you get worse behavior and less safety.