[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri May 11 07:51:44 PDT 2012

> whatever the research says, when I was hit by a car on
> my bike I definitely would have been seriously if not
> fatally injured without the helmet.

I don't see why this should be controversial: protecting your head is the best thing you can do to turn head injuries into non-head injuries. Pointing only to fatalities, as the virus-ridden link that Wendy provided, misses the vast majority of accidents. Of course a helmet is useless in an accident that would otherwise kill you anyway. Duh?

An excellent place to look to information about this stuff is battlefield injuries: the rise of, and increasing sophistication of, helmets by soldiers has completely changed the nature of the number and scope of injuries in battle over the last century.

Other people -- like construction workers and fire fighters -- don't wear helmets because they are tools; they wear them because the risk of head injury in what they do is significant, and they work. Head injuries are typically the most avoidable injury there is.

/jordan