[lbo-talk] latest...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 11 14:25:15 PDT 2012

I read some lengthy article on it someplace but I can't remember any of the details. For half the year of course work started late and ended early. Also, I think it was in the late 16th century that hallways were 'invented.' Before that bedrooms also served as 'hallways' to the next bedroom -- and for many of course their habitation was a single room. Hence no privacy in modern sense. (Hence the Reeve's Tale.) There is a very unsatisfactory 5-vol history of private life, & you get some of these details from it.

On another sub-topic of this thread. A leader of the Chicago Occupation was on the Chicago workshop panel, and he said their main problem was not running too far ahead of their allies in the Fightback against the 1% Mayor. It needed anarchists (of the wilder sort even) to kick the movement into existence as it were, but as Occupiers in different cities get involved in various concrete struggles involving many others, a discipline kicks in -- not forced by outsider kvetching but by the internal dynamic of the movement: and Graeber or ' the Graeber tendency' gets subordinated. Pure speculation, but that could cause tension. You can't, for example, keep dissing public schools if workers at those public schools become the front line of resistance. It will get 'worse' if workers were able by direct action to force the "state" to enforce safety regulations. (A sudden entertaining fantasy: KP was one of the first 'military' functions to be commodified: imagine a nation-wide strike by workers in military mess halls.)

Carrol -----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 3:26 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Graeber's latest...

On May 11, 2012, at 4:12 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> I don't doubt that
> sleep, for example, has a different 'meaning' in capitalist society

Speaking of which, someone told me that pre-artificial light people would frequently get up during the night and visit with friends and/or screw and then go back to sleep. With artificial light, and no doubt the temporal discipline of the pig system, this all changed. Has anyone else heard this?