[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raisemoneyforlocaleconomies?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 20:06:26 PDT 2012

On 5/11/2012 7:34 AM, // ravi wrote:

> Do you think it is possible that the prescription (“rules of the road”) reflects the bourgeois meritocratic bent of the authors? i.e., “if only these poor people would walk an extra 5 kms to use an underpass, where if they are girls they may be harassed by men, I wouldn’t need to keep hitting them”

It may be impossible for them to not reflect a bourgeois bent, but I don't think the characterization you're suggesting applies to the study I linked to. They seem to be more interested in not repeating mistakes of policymakers in what they call "highly motorized countries" e.g. the u.s.

> but you really have to consider this is India… there are a lot of factors at play when it comes to accidents

The specifics of factors in India are very much highlighted I think. See if you agree.

> i.e., there is more than one way to skin that data?

That's always the case of course.