[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 15 10:30:30 PDT 2012

At 02:12 PM 5/10/2012, Wojtek S wrote:
>shag: "Which is to say, I don't need special protections as a wheel chair
>driver, cyclist, pedestrian. What I need, instead, is a public and a
>law that refuses to privilege any vehicle, ever."
>
>[WS:] This is an enormous faith in others - betting your life that
>everyone else will go by this rule, since you have no chance against a
>7 ton vehicle. It probably works most of the time, but all it takes
>is just one asshole or even a distracted driver, a kid texting to his
>friend, a mom talking on her mobile phone to her child, a worker
>coming home from a night shift and dozing off behind the wheel.

true. but as a bike rider I know that 50% of my accidents don't involve another car, bike, or peds. They come from my own spills that involve only me and no other driver, cyclist, or pedestrian. I misjudge a road hazard or I hesitate while at low speed or I don't clip out fast enough or I wipe out on a wet road or I get my tired stuck in lighrail tracks or a grate: I fall.

This, according to Tom Vanderbilt, is why bike riders have a different perspective. it's because you are more fully aware of the danger as you ride. Car drivers live in a world that militates against this awareness.

You see this in areas where they've installed traffic calming devices. Vanderbilt shows how drivers are actually worse --- they drive faster - through areas where they've installed traffic calming strategies and devices: curvy lanes to force people to slow, speed bumps/humps, those speed bubbles along the edge of the road, etc. They are a bit more successful with strategies that calm people down emotionally: different colored pavement, narrower roads, removing the center line, etc.

What I don't want to see is situation where I am forced to use separate paths, etc. This is what happens in the suburbs here, when the subdivisions put in multi-use paths - most of which are awful for cyclists because they are full of tree roots, too narrow to share with peds, full of debris, etc -- the people in the area become even less tolerate of road riders. They expect you to get into your bike paths and stay out of their way. They roads, they say, belong to them.

But we'll never have separate paths or lanes in the city where I live because the streets are old and far too narrow. The speed limit is already 25 mph on most streets. It would be absurd to even try. But my guess is that drivers will continue to think we shouldn't be on the streets, once they come to believe that we should be on separate bike facilities.

fuck that noise.

fuck that shit.