[lbo-talk] is law enforcement a way to raise money for localeconomies?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Tue May 15 13:06:41 PDT 2012

This whole thread has amused me greatly. Not least because even among people who are prepared to grant -- theoretically -- that mass automobilization is a Bad Thing, the idea of a cyclist or a pedestrian insisting on equal road rights empurples the agued motorist cheek and beflecks the quivering motorist jowl with indignant spittle.

Years ago I cycled to a party given by an old friend of mine in suburban Rockland County -- thirty-odd miles each way; I was younger and a lot more fit in those days. I could even get away with wearing bike shorts, and did so at every opportunity.

Quomodo ceciderunt potestates.

All the guests were liberal bien-pensants, with Save The Whales and No Nukes and Earth Day stickers on every Volvo (and they were all Volvos). I was the only person who hadn't arrived in a car.

The other guests were initially full of admiration for my pluck and general Green-ness. Then the conversation took the inevitable turn:

Q: But isn't it dangerous? A: Not if you take a lane when you need to.

Oh what a change. I really thought they were going to string me up. Absolute unanimity that I was the biggest asshole ever whelped. Cast a pall over the whole party, and I had to slink out and cycle home early. She's never invited me back.

There was a warm glow in my heart, though, on the thirty cold dark suburban miles home; the glow of a hypothesis confirmed.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com http://cars-suck.org

Some fine cliches there. Should be encouraged. Too many damn people trying to be different. Coining phrases when a good platitude would do and save anxiety.