[lbo-talk] vox populi: standardize testing

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat May 19 15:16:56 PDT 2012

I caught the tail end of the era when the only three jobs for women were secretarial, teaching, and nursing. And I must say that I did have some outstanding female teachers. Some were better than any teachers I had in college.

After the late seventies women had other options, and many took them. Many left teaching. When I worked at Apple, I had a very capable manager who had been a third grade teacher. I asked her why she left and she told me that although she had gotten everybody to read on grade level by the end of the year (which was a real achievement), she got chewed out by her principal because her kids did not line up in a straight line. So she left.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Alan wrote:

> As Carrol has regularly argued, I think, most teachers in most schools in most communities since the start of mandatory public education were only moderately well-versed in the material they taught and even less well prepared to teach anything well.

I'm not sure about most. What about the decades long period when u.s. public education relied on exploitation of women? A lot of talented women were teaching school when other jobs were closed to them. And they had long careers too. My fourth grade teacher taught me *and* my mother.