[lbo-talk] vox populi: standardize testing

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun May 20 08:07:49 PDT 2012

The criticism of the use of "we" is an interesting one. However, it seemed like there was something more interesting than that someone was speaking as "disinterested observer of the human barnyard." Clearly Joanna isn't ssince she is actively engaged in this struggle.

If you break down the use of "we" it was being deployed to speak to and about "the nation". In other words, "(As a nation,) we don't do enough to _______." or "(As a nation), we could do a better job training teachers."

also? A little constructive criticism dude: That tendency, to speak to everyone, when what sparked criticisms was a particular post, is irritating. One, you quoted Joanna. So talk to Joanna. Engage her. Don't talk to the list about Joanna, which you sometimes do when you say something like, "What Joanna says here is _______."