[lbo-talk] What happened to the Occupy movement?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri May 25 05:22:29 PDT 2012

Dennis R: "I suppose many academics and professionals do have something to lose. But I've noticed a huge psychological gap between folks with semi-secure positions, and everyone else -- including those of us just entering the job market (which, incidentally, remains soul-crushingly horrible). The former have very little idea of how abysmal things are out here."

[WS:] I guess when you have a tenure you are reasonably secure, but other than that - it is actually worse for the old coots than for the young punks. Who is going to hire a 50+ geezer when they can hire a 20+ punk for half the salary, half the expectations, and a fraction of health care cost? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/business/economy/20older.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Just to give you an idea: fairly recently one not so great academic position in the area attracted nearly 400 (sic!) applicants. So it is the employer's market, period. Now, if you are the employer and can choose from a wide variety of candidates, whom would you hire - someone with 20-30 years of experience whom you have to pay more to keep him or her from moving to a better paying job at the first opportune moment, or a new PhD who sees is as a career opportunity and will stay there is work his or her ass off for entry-level pay in the hope of getting tenure?

-- Wojtek