[lbo-talk] Tabbi on Goldman

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue May 29 17:49:11 PDT 2012

You can sell shares you don't own by borrowing them. Sell them for X in hopes the price will go down, then buy them later for less than X (to return shares to whomever you borrowed them from) and pocket the difference. It's how you short a security.

Or as the ditty from an old book about Wall Street goes,

"He who sells what isn't his'n, must buy them back or go to prison."

Then there is the disreputable practice of "naked shorts," where you do all this without borrowing shares first.