[lbo-talk] Not Sure How I Feel About This: "Dan Quayle was Right"

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 08:57:23 PDT 2012

Doug: "Not getting married and having kids while unmarried is often a result, not a cause, of poverty. I wonder if this research controls for that. Has anyone read it?"

[WS:] I cannot get on their server, so obviously I cannot say anything about the article itself. However, I recall a JHU anthropologist doing a study of teenage pregnancy in Baltimore a while ago - her main conclusion was that having a child was used as a way of improving social status for those on the absolute bottom of the totem-pole (i.e. those suffering from both racism and sexism), whereas not being married to the father of the child was not seen as a problem due to extended family networks (mostly among females) who provided social support.

There is also an article in one of the latest issues of ASR showing the impact of incarceration of fathers on the family - this seems to be a major factor contributing to single parenthood among poor women.

-- Wojtek