[lbo-talk] Not Sure How I Feel About This: "Dan Quayle was Right"

Alan P. Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:47:13 PDT 2012

I read it right away - I despise Dan Quayle and revile positive appeals to his legacy. My reading of it was that all the points were disposed of rather than dealt with… for example, the unmarried cohabiting persons thing is disposed of by claiming that it's inherently a weaker commitment. To do so fundamentally/implicitly disparages those who cohabit with kids without marriage as having only accidentally had kids (or at least having accidentally done so in a different accidental manner than married people). Since a large large percentage of divorces occur during the high stress period around young kids, I'd love to see them consider/compare only married and unmarried cohabiting couples with children rather than unmarried couples with children and all those who are married in toto. The divorce rate is important because researchers like these have a long-held and empirically-verifiable history of clearly (though implicitly - and I know its not their topic) assuming the divorce rates are higher among those selfish people who marry without intending to have kids than among those with… it's all part of the BS romanticism about the 1950s.

The two-incomes-is-better-than-one thing only works if two income households - across income strata - have a clear history of raising "healthier" or "more successful" kids on the basis of those dual incomes… and, until the fairly recent present, among higher income folks, dual incomes is exactly what's been correlated with divorce since women who could make their own money are no longer tied to dependency on a jackass-but-breadwinning man. Until the late-70s - when it became clear that higher income dual income marriages were the most stable variety, dual incomes tended to be associated with lower income strata where the wives' income was necessary to the family but insufficient to provide for a household with children on their own and therefore largely furthered earlier eras of gender dependency and thus skewing divorce statistics.

What's FAR more important than Sawhill's point is that dual earner middle-and-above-middle income men and women are delaying marriage and childbearing often into their thirties and the evidence there is clear that later first marriages between relatively more equal partners are those which both provide the most money for kids and the most family stability. Last, we know from the last twenty years of educational research that girls' and women's educational (and, increasingly, professional) attainment - most especially among the lower 50% of families by income - has outstripped boys' and men's attainment and that this has produced a situation where the reasons for childbearing outside of marriage are often wholly different than the racist/masculinist idiocy of Dan Quayle… a racist/masculinist idiocy clearly embedded in Sawhill's editorial/commentary. Add to this the decline in manual, service and industrial men's hourly wages and I don't see how marriage has the power to do what Sawhill implies because - as we all agree - of Doug's point.

A (apologies for top-posting)

-- Alan P. Rudy Sent with Sparrow (http://www.sparrowmailapp.com/?sig)