[lbo-talk] Inequality: The silly tales economists like to tell

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 09:49:26 PDT 2012

Marv Gandall

>> On Oct 31, 2012, at 12:15 PM, c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My anecdotal experience is many more md.s from other countries
>>> than lawyers.
>>
>> True. NYC hospitals are full of docs from India, Indonesia, etc.
>
> I think WS must be pretty unaware of what is happening to both doctors &
> lawyers: large numbers of both are already proletarianized. Re lawyers, we
> had a thread on it some years ago: young lawyers in an unheated basement
> room getting shit wages for hard & boring work.

Additionally, much legal work is now being outsourced to young lawyers and paralegals in India, the Philippines, and other developing countries by corporations and law firms in the US, Canada, UK, and elsewhere. The internet, coupled with the expansion of higher education in these vast new global markets, have made it practical and much more cost-effective to outsource the work than to recruit students, especially from abroad, to supply this labour power .

^^^^ CB: This makes sense. Much legal research and writing can be done by paralegals or lawyers who have law school education , but are not members of the bar. Members of the bar are only needed to go to court.

^^^^

Contrary to what Woj, following Dean Baker, asserts, the same forces ("globalization", "outsourcing", "automation") which weakened the position of manufacturing workers in the West are increasingly affecting workers with advanced postsecondary education - those whom Woj continues to insist belong to the power structure rather the newest layers of the working class. We are not talking Wall Street lawyers or the heads of surgical departments here.