[lbo-talk] Elections

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 10:10:01 PST 2012

Greetings from Luxembourg. I woke up this morning to check the election results and finding out that O won really made my day. I expected that, of course, but there was always a chance of things going wrong. The Europeans whom I was meeting asked about my reaction and I explained it as follows "I am of course happy that O won, because the other guy was a much worse choice. But this is mainly good for you, because it means no new war, but for us it is more of the same, given that Reps maintain the control of the House. That means more partisan bickering and not much being done - a bad thing for us."

As to the local elections, Maryland liberals favored in state tuition for children of immigrants and same sex marriages, but rejected collective bargaining for police officers in Montgomery county http://www.gazette.net/article/20121107/NEWS/711079527/1007/montgomery-county-police-lose-effects-bargaining&template=gazette

This goes with my earlier argument about entrepreneurial libertarianism of the US middle class - more personal freedom, less collective rights. Marv?

-- Wojtek