[lbo-talk] GM food labeling

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Nov 7 14:59:58 PST 2012

The GM food movements have had nowhere near the success they enjoyed in Europe where food in countries like France and Italy are almost identical to a national identity. You might be able to start a revolution if you introduced genetically modified wine, olive oil, or cheese.

The other problem (I think) is that nobody understands what `genetic' modified means, let alone genetic anything.

I actually agree to some extent that GM is a so-what consumer issue. It lacks controversial attraction like high fructose corn syrups, HFCS. It's easy. HFCS=>FAT. While GM=>...? Now if we could GM=>CANCER there would be an real up roar.

The real issue is the control corporate agriculture can extend over food crop production. That is an issue that has almost no consumer attraction. It is an obscure topic buried in the bureaucratic mysteries of the Dept of Agriculture.

CG ------------------------ ___________________________________ I suspect you're right. But it surprises me cause I thought Cali was very food conscious.

I guess the other thing is that normal people eat a lot of processed food. And if you do that, maybe you've already kind of given up.

Joanna