[lbo-talk] Food stamp use rises

Daniel Michniewicz michnied at mail.gvsu.edu
Tue Nov 13 08:41:12 PST 2012

Can you characterize "abuse" in this contaxt?

I mean, either you're eligible or you're not; are you saying that college student are ineligible but lie about it?

I think the thing is that a good portion of them *were* lying about it. College students "abusing" SNAP in Michigan during my undergrad years was a Very Serious Issue. Students weren't reporting the assistance they were getting from their parents, so they were technically ineligible, and the state turned a blind eye to this before making those changes.

Dan