[lbo-talk] "Fiscal Cliff"

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Tue Nov 13 13:04:00 PST 2012

Re: Curtis's question about the so-called "fiscal cliff":

I'm not sure what you mean by saying it's a crock, or hogwash, or a ploy. I think it does make sense to view it as a ploy to gut Social Security and Medicare. That's Bill Black's view--Obama on Social Security is like Nixon in China: Obama can make changes to so-called "entitlement" programs that people would howl about if Republicans tried to do the same thing. Obama will make small changes that will allow the full unraveling of the programs later.

But in another sense, the "fiscal cliff" is not a crock, in that if the tax increases and spending cuts happen, they could do harm to the economy, and undermine what recovery there is.

Maybe what you are getting at is that even though the cuts and tax increases could raise havoc, the alarmism about it is misleading, because what we have is a political impasse, not a real economic impasse. Congress could perfectly well find good alternatives to the automatic cuts and across-the-board tax increases that would otherwise happen--raise taxes on the wealthy, cut military spending massively, and even increase the kind of domestic spending that creates more jobs--without doing a thing about so-called "entitlement" spending. That's what Heidi Garrett-Peltier argues in her comment in the current issue of D&S: http://dollarsandsense.org/archives/2012/0912garrett-peltier.html.

-- Chris Sturr Co-editor, *Dollars & Sense* *Note our new address:* One Milk Street, 5th floor Boston, Mass. 02109 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205** fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org