[lbo-talk] PBS documentary: "Park Avenue: Money, Power & the American Dream"

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:39:22 PST 2012

Carrol wrote:

> The assumption that capitalism is bad because capitalists
> are bad is crippling to resistance.

Enlightened resistance would be better, of course. Ice cream would also help. But at this point one just wants resistance -- however crippled by the assumption (!!) that capitalism is a conspiracy of greedy bastards against the rest of us.

IMHO, there are many, many things that cripple resistance (people are too busy making ends meet, the odds of making a significant short-term difference in one's livelihood appears long to most people, etc. -- but the lack of a radical, full-fledge Marxist consciousness is way down my list. If we are waiting for that consciousness to spark (un-cripple) resistance, then we better sit down comfortably and order a Trenta cafe au lait.