[lbo-talk] The death of cursive....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 24 17:18:15 PST 2012

Jordan Hayes

> > ...is not a good thing.
>
> Yeah, and I miss the horse-drawn carriage, too. Middle English, I
> suppose, too.
>
> I skipped 3rd grade, and thus never formally learned cursive. I
> stopped using cursive when I started to keyboard, oh around 1975? 6th
> grade. It didn't impact my fine motor skills or self-identity. But it
> did speed up my ability to write and be understood.
>
> What a load of bullshit.

Don't you miss the abacus too? Are there still math teachers who don't let students use calculators for tests? While the grade never bothered me, then or now, I'm still pissed off at the stupidity of the calculus prof who lowered my semester grade from an A to a B after I lost 20 points on a 5-question final exam from adding 9+8= 19!

I got a computer when I was 42. Up to then I had done my writing in legal pads, then typed it and revised from the typescript. But most initial writing was always by hand. It took me about 4 months, & I never again wrote by hand except for marginal notes on computer print-outs. Like Jordan, I think it improved my writing considerably. Shortly & I'll probably have to shift to dictating to the computer; I don't know whether I'll be able to learn to compose orally or not.

Carrol