[lbo-talk] on Doug's latest show, Galbraith

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 26 05:57:23 PST 2012

The U.S. is not declining except by criteria which have been irrelevant for over a century. Britain _never_ declined. I'm not sure it's accurate to speak of decline in the case of Italy or France. When we speak of a "nation" we speak of Capital, not some mythical geographical-demographical entity. "The U.S. is in decline" has NO content; it is not a sentence because a sentence must have some grammatical subject, and "The U.S." names nothing; it can't be the subject of a sentence..

BP has stations all over the Midwest. Those stations are part of "the u.s." in so far as "the u.s." is meaningful and not a myth. The shoes being made in Vietnam are part of "the u.s.," not part of Vietnam.

But leaving aside DR's raving, I have a question.

What would happen if the U.S. government simply repudiated its national debt?

Account for the U.S. military in your answer.

Account for employment in China in your answer.

Carrol

On