[lbo-talk] The death of cursive....

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 14:57:34 PST 2012

"In terms of learning handwriting as a path to appreciation of beauty, I would suggest that reversing the deprecation and often elimination of art and music in schools is much higher priority than retaining mandatory cursive. "

That's not quite what I meant. I meant that training in calligraphy teaches one viscerally, albeit mechanically, that verbal/written expression includes beauty as well as truth.

"I also wonder if cursive is a skill best taught young. Unlike basic reading and writing,it may be better acquired as an adult the way my friend acquired calligraphy."

Perhaps the teenage years would be best....as you say next:

"Heck, if you think it important that it be taught to kids, I could see a bigger argument for offering calligraphy as an optional part of an arts curriculum than teaching plain old cursive. You get the ability to produce something truly beautiful and learn cursive as a side effect. I'll bet a large minority of kids would be interested, and those who were not could concentrate on something else."

Keep in mind however that right now what is replacing instruction in cursive, is practice for standardized tests.

Joanna