[lbo-talk] Do teachers in the US of A make more than an electronics factory worker?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 1 04:00:31 PDT 2012

when I was the equivalent of an electronics factory worker, I sure as shit dreamed of being a teacher. there's stability, better benefits, better working conditions, and the possibility of some sort of career path. If you are a woman, you also factor in the fact that the kids' days and vacations will be aligned with yours, so you consider the possibly 2-3 months out of the year that you don't pay for day care.

I don't know what electronics factory workers make now, but my recollection was that, in FL, they typically made $12-18/hr, tops $40k, in Tampa Bay area.

Teachers aren't well paid considering their education requirements and considering the supposed importance of what they do. There's a lot of rhetoric in the united states about how important it is that we have fabulous teachers given that it supposedly teachers who make all the difference in the world - according to the rhetoric.

i.e., everyone believes that the most important teachers in terms of impact is a kindergarten teacher, but she is usally paid the worst, where high school teachers - where it's often too late (in common understanding) -- are paid the best.