[lbo-talk] Singapore

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:44:04 PDT 2012

On balance, the death penalty has been used too frequently by repressive states against the wrongfully convicted, petty criminals, political and religious dissidents, so-called adulterers and blasphemers, homosexuals, and others to justify it - even in the case of those accused of economic and war crimes, who should be incarcerated and, where possible, rehabilitated. It's well established that the death penalty is not a deterrent, so what purpose can it serve? Revolutionary armies, like conventional ones, which have taken reprisals have typically produce more recruits for the other side than their own.

It's my impression, BTW, that liberals and radicals opposed to the death penalty are equally opposed to inadequate health care and nutrition and in favour of rigorous auto and industrial safety standards, without favouring the latter to the exclusion of the former, as Woj suggests.