[lbo-talk] Singapore

Wu Chen Khoo khoowuch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 07:57:00 PDT 2012

Interesting. May I ask why you were in Singapore and what led you to these conclusions?

Singapore is very much a model that's cited as something Oppositions throw at their Governments in this region, and that governments actively compete against as both bogeyman and model. But the Singapore model cannot be implemented in the rest of ASEAN at this point (I would argue that it never could, from the beginnings of Independence), nor, really would many of us want it to.

I've resisted every offer or circumstance which would lead me to working in Singapore. I actually really like visiting Singapore, but for me and for many people in the region, the issue is rarely not so much the government and the the structure of the society, but rather the culture of the people of Singapore themselves. Admittedly, this arises directly from the circumstances and society that LKY & Family have created and how that has shaped the Singaporean mindset.

I suspect you'd get in trouble in Singapore a lot less often than you think and than various media would like you to think (especially with so many young people these days starting to look for work in Singapore rather than the US or Europe, if the Singapore government is to be believed). I can barely tell the difference between the climate in the US and here anymore. I can't find it anymore, but some 10 years ago, when Bush started openly detaining people without trial, Mahathir said something to the effect of "See? They've finally realized we had it right all along." [referring to the Internal Security Act that allows the Malaysian Government to detain people without trial indefinitely] I always hoped he was wrong. I don't think it's too late for him to be wrong.