[lbo-talk] "Citizen," Concept of was Death penalty

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 6 13:41:52 PDT 2012

My subject was movement-building. The distinction between resident and citizen (leaving aside Andie N's important specifications) merely underlines that one does not have to be eligible to vote in order to participate in a street demonstration. Leftists, at this time, should only be marginally concerned even with third-party campaigns and not at all with the DP/RP squabbles. And for that reason we don't have to exercise the discriminations that (for example) someone registering voters must exercise.

So-called "illegal migrants" are in some ways central to our movement (or potential movement).

Carrol

P.S. And of course we should attack the exclusion of convicted felons from voting. While I don't give a damn who is elected president, I care a lot about all those denied the right to vote.

On