[lbo-talk] This time it's a September Surprise on Romney

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 15:06:42 PDT 2012

Your certainly about Long's victory is well, wishful thinking. Long himself did not feel that way according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1936 - he apparently did not expect to have a better chance than Roosevelt:

"Many people expected Huey Long, the colorful Democratic senator from Louisiana, to run as a third-party candidate with his "Share Our Wealth" program as his platform. However, he was assassinated in September 1935. It was later revealed by historian and Long biographer T. Harry Williams that Long had never, in fact, intended to run for the presidency in 1936. Instead, he had been plotting with Father Charles Coughlin, a Catholic priest and populist talk radio personality, to run someone else on the soon-to-be-formed "Share Our Wealth" Party ticket. According to Williams, the idea was that this candidate would split the left-wing vote with President Roosevelt, thereby electing a Republican president and proving the electoral appeal of SOW. Long would then wait four years and run for president as a Democrat in 1940."

In any case, these are speculations that neither of us can prove or disprove. However, there are not that many things about which I am nearly certain, but that sooner a camel will go through the eye of a needle than a left wing candidate of any stripes wins presidential election in the US is one of them. -- Wojtek