[lbo-talk] Disposing of and recycling E.coli contaminated meat

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 14:26:47 PDT 2012

 I have been trying to find good references that explain exactly how meat contaminated with E. coli is disposed of. In the U.S. I gather some meat is recycled in canned chili and other products in which the meat is first cooked at very high temperatures to kill the bacteria.    We recently have had a big recall at XL foods. I have tried to find out what happens to the beef. I heard a short report on the CBC saying that most of  the beef goes to the landfill but some is recycled. In past U.S. cases some has been recycled. It would seem quite safe to recycle the meat and if people are too queasy about it , pet food makers could make good use of it. It just seems ridiculous to me to dump food that is perfectly safe to eat when properly cooked should be wasted.

Cheers, ken   Blog: http://kenthink7.blogspot.com/index.html Blog: http://kencan7.blogspot.com/index.html